I’m a little behind schedule here posting about the two quilts I finished last month. Since then I’ve been working on some smaller projects that had hard deadlines so I neglected to get this up sooner.
First is my Denyse Schmidt improv quilt. As I mentioned last October, I attended her lecture for the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild and the follow-up workshop. I ended up with seven blocks of various sizes and had no idea what to do with them…..until I saw what Shea had done with hers at one of our meetings.
The back is Moda Grunge, I’m not sure what color. The photo makes it look very orange but it’s much more red.
I quilted the blocks with a boxy maze-like pattern and my go-to waves on the borders.
The second finish was a long time coming. I started the English Paper Piecing probably two years ago. Many hours of guilt-free TV watching ensued. I wanted to use up some of my 30s reproduction scraps but I’m sure I ended up buying more than I saved.
I looked all over the internet for a good way to finish this off, without much luck. Everything I found had you either appliqueing the flowers onto a really big background or cutting edges off. Neither of those seemed like the best options to me. So I cut the foundation paper and pieced those for the edges before applying the border.
I then decided to big stitch quilt the entire thing. I used a wool batting which made the stitching much smoother. I think I’ll have to keep this quilt after all that work.